I was lucky to see chanterelles at the market. Although I do relate them to a milder climate, and although it has been so hot in the last couple of weeks that my family has been on a food strike, I must say that it was very well received at dinner time!
- 1.5 lb (750 gr) chanterelles
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves – pressed
- 7 oz (200 gr) bacon – chopped
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Wash the chanterelles very well. I do soak them in water, and rinse them well.
- Fry the onions at medium heat. Add the bacon and the garlic, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Add milk, cream and spices.
- Right before serving, add the cornstarch previously diluted in a little bit of water, and let boil shortly.
- Serve with boiled potatoes.