Sauerkraut – Latvian style
My mom has always made sauerkraut this way. I am assuming it is the way it is made in Latvia, since she learned how to make it with her grandmother.
- 1/2 Cabbage – thinly sliced
- 1 can sauerkraut
- 1 onion – chopped
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 dried juniper berries
- 1 cup water or you can make my version with apple juice
- 3 Tablespoons sugar – to make a dark caramel
- In a large pot, fry the chopped onions slightly in a little bit of oil.
- Add the sauerkraut, cabbage, salt, bay leaves, juniper berries and apple juice (or water), and cook at medium heat for at least 45 minutes.
- Now comes the tricky part. You need to make a dark caramel with the sugar in another pan. Use a deep one, because you will need to dilute the caramel in water, before you add it to the sauerkraut. I like to wear nice, long kitchen gloves while doing this, because I have a lot of respect for making caramel!
- Add the diluted caramel to the sauerkraut and continue cooking the sauerkraut for another 30 minutes.