I love this dish. Yes, it does take more time to prepare all the ingredients, but then it is a lot of fun to eat!
Tip 1: leftovers taste great, so do not worry about making too much of anything!
Tip 2: Cover the leftover guacamole with plastic wrap. I place the wrap so that it is in direct contact with the guacamole – so that there’s no air between guacamole and wrap. This way, your guacamole will stay nice and green the next day!
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Flour tortillas
- 4 Chicken breasts – sliced thinly
- 2 peppers – sliced
- 2 onions – sliced
- 1 large lemon
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 4 garlic cloves crushed (3 for marinade, 1 to add to the pepper and onion slices)
- 1 can of re-fried beans
- Grated cheese
- Prepare the guacamole and the salsa.
- Warm up the re-fried beans on the stove. Add a little bit of water to make it easier to stir.
- Fry the onion and the pepper slices. Add 1 crushed garlic clove.
- Combine lemon, salt, pepper, oil and garlic (3 cloves).
- Add chicken, mix, cover and place in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- I like to fry the chicken in smaller batches, to sear and then cook. This way the chicken stays tender.
- Combine the chicken with the pepper-onions and fry until the chicken is well done.
- Warm up the tortillas on a non-stick pan. You just need to turn them a couple of times quickly, just to warm them up.
- Serve all ingredients separately, so that each person can make his/her favorite fajita combination.