I adjusted one of my great-grandmother’s cake recipes to please my kids… they wanted chocolate!
I will eventually post the original recipe.
- 7 oz (200 gr) Butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3.5 oz (100 gr) melted chocolate
- 1 oz melted chocolate to decorate – optional
- Separate the eggs. Place the yolks in a small bowl, and the whites in a big one.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer until peaks form. (Tip: Most recipes ask you to do this at the end, but by doing this first, you avoid having to wash the blades at the end, before beating the egg whites!)
- In a gib bowl, blend the butter with the sugar.
- Add the eggs and blend for about a minute.
- Measure the flour, add the baking powder, and mix with a spoon to blend it well.
- Add the flour mix and the milk and blend for about a minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix with a spoon.
- Place the batter in a Gugelhupf mold (spread a little bit of butter first, and sprinkle a little bit of flour first).
Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF (180º F) for half an hour. Always check with a toothpick to make sure that it is ready!
- Decorate with the extra melted chocolate.