The canapé in the middle is a classic at any Latvian party! It is actually a classic at any northern European gathering, but my latvian grandmother tought me how to make them. The other 2 are just variations made with creamed herrings…
It is also a good excuse to finish those Easter eggs… 😉
- Hard boiled eggs – sliced
- Sandwich bread
- Pickled Herrings in sour cream, soused herrings (Matjes), pickled herrings in sour cream and red beets – cut in stripes.
- Toast the sandwich bread slightly. Cut the crust off.
- Make sure the butter is soft, then spread the toasts lightly with butter. Cut each toast in 4 – making 4 squares or 4 triangles.
- Peel and slice the eggs with an egg slicer.
- Add 1 – 2 slices of egg to each mini toast, add 1 or 2 herring stripes, and decorate.
This is just a mini recipe, but it is my after Easter favorite!