This is the way scrambled eggs are eaten in Venezuela. Since we are on vacation right now, I had enough time to make this for breakfast…
- 6 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 8 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper
- Chop the onion finely and fry it on medium heat while you prepare the tomatoes.
- Cut the tomatoes in medium chunks, about 1″ – 1 1/2″ (2 cm). Add to the onions and fry for about 25 min.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- When the tomato juice has reduced and the tomatoes and the onions are well cooked, push them to the sides of the pan to make room to make the eggs.
- Scramble the eggs, add a little bit of oil to the pan and add the scrambled eggs to the pan.
- Let it set a little bit, and then, with a spatula or a wooden spoon scrape the bottom of the pan so that more egg batter can reach the pan (repeat this procedure a few times). This lets you cook the eggs a little bit before you start to mix them with the onions and the tomatoes. This way, you also get “chunks” of scrambled eggs, along with the onion and tomato mix.
- Continue cooking for another 10 min, mixing it all very well, until the eggs are thoroughly cooked.
In Venezuela this dish is usually served with Arepas.