I think I learned how to make this dish in the US – I guess that’s why I add cream to it… I’m still categorizing it as Italian, although the original should not have any cream in it!
- 7 oz (200 gr) bacon – diced
- 3.5 oz (100 gr) ham – diced
- 1 onion – finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves – pressed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks – mixed with a little bit of milk
- Parmesan or Pecorino – grated
- Cooked pasta
- Fry the onions in a tiny bit of oil by low heat for 2 – 3 minutes.
Add the garlic, bacon and the ham. Fry for another 5 minutes at medium heat.
- Add the cream and the milk and bring it to a boil.
As soon as it starts to boil, take it away from the heat and add the egg yolk – milk mix and mix well.
- Put it back on the stove, and bring it back very, very shortly to a boil, making sure you are mixing it very well – Use a whisker so it doesn’t clump.
Mix the carbonara sauce with you favorite pasta, and add lots of parmesan on top!