This is definitely my version of a classic. My mom used to make this dish with eggs (the original), but I prefer mayo to go on the “safe” side… I also like to add a little bit of balsamic vinegar because its sweetness adds a really nice touch to it.
- 8 Anchovies, chopped small.
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove , crushed or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less, depends on how salty the anchovies are)
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 lemon – juice
- 2 Tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 8 Tablespoons olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- 2 romiane lettuces (clean and cut in smaller pieces)
- 10 bacon strips, fried and chopped
- Mix the mayo and the mustard.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and about 4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce.
- Add lemon juice and vinegar. The balsamic vinegar adds a little bit of sweetness to the dressing…
- Now mix in the Olive oil and add the anchovies at the end.
- Mix it all well and taste. Sometimes the lemons are very mild and it should taste great, but sometimes they a little bit bitter and you need to compensate by adding more olive oil… same goes with the salt and the anchovies…
- Mix the salad and the dressing when you are ready to serve. Add the bacon, parmesan and croutons at the end. I usually serve the croutons on a separate dish and only add them when serving on top , since I like them to stay crunchy.
See Ceasar style salad with chicken for the chicken marinade.